Skip to Content

Help With A Federal Agency

One of the most important things I do as a U.S. Representative is help people with issues they're having with federal agencies. Although I cannot override the decisions made by a federal agency, I can often intervene on a person's behalf to answer questions, find solutions, or just cut through the red tape. Regardless of which agency you need help with, I need a completed privacy authorization form to comply with the provisions of the Privacy Act. However, if you need assistance with USCIS, please fill out this form which includes specific information required by USCIS. Check out my District Mobile Office Hours Schedule to see when a member of my staff will be closest to you! If you are in need of immediate assistance or are seeking help with a federal agency, please call one of my district offices. 

Below are the topics that my office receives the most questions about from Constituents. Click the links below as they may provide you with answers to basic questions as well as information on resources that are available. Have more questions? Call one of my district offices!

Frequently Asked Questions
Social Security
State Department - Passport Service/Traveling abroad
State Department – Non Immigrant Visas
Department of Education and Financial Aid for Students 
Veterans Affairs
Security Clearances
Emergency Assistance for constituents in need (links to temporary financial aid, food assistance, housing assistance, medical and mental health treatment).
Identity Theft

Other important links is the official U.S. gateway to all government information.

Is the federal government’s official website for federal jobs and employment information (from the U.S. Office of Personnel Management). “Career One Stop” is a U.S. Department of Labor-sponsored Web site that offers career resources and workforce information to job seekers, students, businesses, and workforce professionals. 
One-stop access to consumer information and assistance from the federal government, coordinated by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). Covers product recalls, fraudulent practices, and buying tips.

Disaster Assistance Available from FEMA 
Information from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). FEMA Regional Offices provide additional local information.

Federal Grants
Learn about government grants and loans for states and organizations.

What my office can do:

  • Help you communicate with federal agencies
  • Request information or a status report on your case
  • Request that an agency consider or reconsider your case
  • Submit an inquiry with a federal agency on your behalf
  • Help you obtain basic information from a federal agency

What my office cannot do:

  • Force a federal agency to act in your favor or speed up your case
  • Provide legal advice or recommend an attorney
  • Overturn or influence matters involving private businesses
  • Intervene with state issues. My office cannot overturn or influence matters under the jurisdiction of local or state governments. If your issue involves state or municipal agencies, please contact your state legislators or contact the state agency directly. The Governor of Virginia’s office may also be able to help you with state issues.
  • Intervene with judicial issues. My office cannot legally get involved with pending litigation, including questions about criminal trials or imprisonment, child custody issues, deportation proceedings and civil lawsuits. My office cannot overturn or in any way influence a court’s decision.

Contact Information
Prefix *
First Name *
Last Name *
* Address:
* City:
* Phone Number:
* Email:
* Date of Birth:
* Social Security Number:
Case Information
* Agency Involved:
* Agency Case Number(s): (if none, indicate "None")
Branch of Service: (if applicable)
Military Rank: (if applicable)
* Nature of Problem