Each spring, the Congressional Institute and participating Members of Congress sponsor An Artistic Discovery, a nationwide high school visual art competition that recognizes and encourages artistic talent in each congressional district. Since the pilot competition in 1982, more than 650,000 high school students have participated.
The annual Art Competition is open to all high school students currently living in the First District. Children of service members who are stationed outside the district, but call VA-01 home, may also submit their artwork through the mail.
The winning submission will be displayed in the U.S. Capitol for one year and viewed by visitors and dignitaries from all over the world.
All artwork must:
- Be less than 26x26x4 inches, framed with wood or metal (cavasses do not need to be framed)
- 2 dimensional
- Not weigh more than 15 pounds
- Original art (cannot be a copy or interpretation of an existing image)
- Mediums include: Paintings Drawings Prints (lithographs, silk screen, block printing), Mixed media (use of more than 2 mediums), Collages, Computer-generated art, Photographs.
- A label on the back of the art with: Student Name, Address, Phone Number, Email Address, Title, Medium
Each student must submit a typed Student Release Form with his or her entry.
All artwork must be submitted in person to one of my district offices no later than April 22nd , 2019. DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MAY 1.
POC: Karen Klotz
95 Dunn Drive
Stafford VA, 22554
POC: Christina Whitehouse
6501 Mechanicsville Turnpike
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
POC: Chris Jones
508 Church Lane
Tappahannock, VA 22560
Please do not hesitate to reach out to my Staff Assistant, Curran, with any questions you may have. You can call the office at 202-225-4261 or e-mail Curran at email@example.com. I look forward to seeing all of the great work that will be submitted!
2019 Rules And Regulations