Poll: Time to reorganize the federal government?
The Trump Administration recently announced a sweeping plan to reorganize the federal government. This announcement comes following President Trump’s Executive Order last year directing the Office of Management of Budget to propose changes to reorganize Executive Branch agencies and departments. The administration touts the reforms as a part of their ongoing effort to streamline an inefficient, bloated federal bureaucracy to better serve the American people. OMB Director Mick Mulvaney explained that these reforms will increase the government’s accountability, end duplicative programs, and bring needed changes to oversized federal government. Initial opponents insist changes to reorganize the government are actually attempts to scale down the number of people benefiting from welfare programs. Critics also voiced concern over the elimination of key government services and a potential reduction of the federal workforce.
Among the changes outlined in the Office of Management and Budget’s plan:
• Merging the Department of Education and the Department of Labor
• Transferring jurisdiction of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) from the Department of Agriculture to Department of Health and Human Services
• Renaming the Department of Health and Human Services to the Department of Health and Public Welfare
• Transferring the Department of Agriculture’s housing program to the Department of Housing and Urban Development
• Privatizing the United States Postal Service
• Moving Army Corps of Engineers’ civilian work from Department of Defense to the Department of Transportation
• Shrinking and privatizing Fannie-Mae and Freddie-Mac
• Combining the food safety services at Department of Agriculture and Food and Drug Administration
• Establishing a Bureau of Economic Growth
I want to know what you think. Do you support the President’s plan to reorganize the federal government?
I don’t know
I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Your opinion helps me shape my thinking as I represent you in Washington.